Thursday, January 29, 2015

Top of the Heap by Erle Stanley Gardner writing as A.A. Fair



There is a saying in my head that states, “You read one HardCase Crime; you have to read another!” So, shortly after finishing Peter Rabe’s Stop This Man! from the Hard Case Crime imprint, I immediately went to my shelves and discovered I had another Erle Stanley Gardner book that I had shamefully neglected. Top of the Heap (1952) published under the pen name of A.A. Fair; features the private eye team of Cool and Lam, and like the Perry Mason books, is a long series spanning over 40 years. This work was number thirteen!

Normally, I do make an effort to read an author’s work in order of the series, but I was so compelled to read this book after the first paragraph that I couldn’t stop reading it. The novel begins with a tall, burly character pausing at the door of our duo detectives’ agency and simply asks, “B. Cool?” That line makes me chuckle. Perhaps it’s the modern connotation of the word cool, but I found that a part of a great opening scene.

Not knowing the series past events I was worried that I would be lost, but I didn’t feel that way at all. The story picks up right away. Bertha Cool is the senior, controlling partner at the agency and Lam is the chief operative that does most of the groundwork. The agency is hired to find a couple of ladies that seemed to have abandoned our burly gentleman from the opening, but after Lam figures that the job was a set-up for a quick alibi; he begins to dig a little deeper into this affair at the cost of the agency’s, and his own, good name. The story entangles when trying to unravel the shady business inside a nightclub named the Green Door that has tangled into a mobster’s affairs. While the owner of several mining companies, one coincidentally named the Green Door, goes missing, all evidence leads to Lam’s client committing murder and disposing of the body.

What really strikes me about Gardner’s work is the consistency and detail in his structure, and this is only the second novel I’ve read by Gardner. I could feel the elements of the mystery stacking up and playing out in much the same way as The Case of the Velvet Claws. 



For example, in the Velvet Claws, Perry Mason is accused of murder and wanted by the police; but, refuses to stop defending his client until his accuser is proven wrong despite the fact that the accuser and the client is the same person. Likewise, Lam, accused of blackmail after exposing the phony alibi angle refuses to stop working for his client despite the pursuit of the law and the mob. In fact, the client hires Lam to establish a phony alibi creates a good deal of suspicion from the start. There’s definitely a pattern here and one that I hope to explore further with my future reading of Gardner’s work. I really felt comfortable in Gardner’s hands, if you could describe reading a novel that way.


However, and most importantly, it is quite entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment